Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totoro8

Ginger syllabub

totoro z7b Md
6 years ago

Anyone growing this rose? How is it doing for you? Lilyfinch I think I read that you were thinking of buying this rose? I did at one point too, but got Alchymist instead which is so pretty but once blooming and prone to BS.

Comments (25)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Ha as soon as I saw your post I was thinking yep! We love the same roses !

I confess I ordered it and it died under my care. I'm not sure I even saw a bloom. My plan was to plant all these roses and mulch / cardboard around them and eventually make a bed. Well when I was pregnant I would get heat sick like crazy so roses were planted in the ground and then here and there my law guy would accidentally kill one or two. :(. I just couldn't get the beds made . Basically I sacrificed quite a few roses for nothing! I do still want to grow it ! Wish I was better help for you !

totoro z7b Md thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, Zuzu! so many petals! I admire your patience with this rose. It is still very beautiful when it is pinkish. How is its disease resistance?

Lilyfinch sorry to hear that yours was killed by the lawn guy. It must have made feeling ill even harder to bear.

• Zuzu (Sebastopol, CA, 9a)
    6 years ago

Totoro, it has a little bit of black spot now, but so does everything else in my garden except for a few of Ping Lim's roses. We had a lot of rain this winter and spring. It isn't a bad case. The rose isn't defoliated. Nothing in my garden gets rust or mildew, so I can't tell you anything about its resistance to those maladies. I can tell you it smells divine!

totoro z7b Md thanked Zuzu (Sebastopol, CA, 9a)
  • towandaaz
    6 years ago

Totoro, I have it! It's infested with thrips at the moment (bummer), but I have some pictures to share after I pull them from my camera. I'm a little on the fence about this one, but it's only a second year rose.

totoro z7b Md thanked towandaaz
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

I've been fascinated by this rose since I first saw it in the Heirloom catalog years ago. Then I saw Harryshoe's fabulous example in photos on the Forum. Zuzu, I love your rose, though the color transformation seems a bit strange. Patience pays off, though the pale pink is lovely, too. Diane

totoro z7b Md thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • John (PNW zone 8)
    6 years ago

I grew Ginger Syllabub for several years in my old garden. It was healthier than its parent (Graham Thomas) and had better rebloom, too. However, it did get a little blackspot on its beautiful foliage, and it bloomed in flushes...about 3 flushes max when mature in my NW Oregon climate. It tended to be on the pink side of apricot in my garden, too, but like Zuzu, the color varied. I don't remember if it was due to maturity of the plant or just the weather, but I thought it was a charming trait. It grew steadily but was not an aggressive climber...though managed to hold its own against a Clematis Montana and had root competition with an old arborvitae hedge in the neighboring yard. Here are a couple photos I dug up. I remember at the time thinking the camera didn't do them justice.

totoro z7b Md thanked John (PNW zone 8)
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

Well, it's reassuring to hear that even a rose queen like Zuzu had no luck with Ginger Syllabub for years. I have had mine about 6 years and I can't find a single bloom photo of mine. It is fairly hardy, surviving in my zone 4 spot of my yard, and to its credit it's not in a good sun or spot in the yard. Still, I can't say that I've ever noticed it blooming and I'm always surprised to see that it has survived another year.

Cynthia

totoro z7b Md thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

I'm still waiting on mine to do something. I got her from Heirloom in 2006. Took for-frickin-ever to grow beyond the band size, let alone bloom. I think I've seen maybe 5-6 blooms total?? Maybe she does better grafted.

Here's a pic from a couple yrs ago. She's finally reached maybe 3ft...

totoro z7b Md thanked bethnorcal9
  • vasue VA
    6 years ago

Like Diane, I'd admired this rose for years. Researched periodically for more info to find European & Aussie growers with more positive reports than seem typical stateside. When ceterum started a thread back in 2010 asking about blackspot resistance in humid climates, decided to find out for myself. Photos by knitnscrabble in her link tipped me over the edge. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1586546/is-ginger-syllabub-blackspot-free-in-humid-climate?n=8 

Yet every time I tried to actually order, it was out of stock. Available this May Day on sale, went for it. Pair of gallons shipped out today from Heirloom. Rogue Valley shows it in stock now at $19.95 per band plus shipping. http://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/ginger-syllabub Heirloom's $30.40 for a gallon shipped seemed the better deal. Still available at that price with Heirloom's 20% off all roses through today. http://www.heirloomroses.com/ginger-syllabub.html They're the only 2 own root suppliers listed at HMF, along with Hortico as grafted. Guess I'll get to satisfy my curiosity on this one. Wish me luck! Sue

totoro z7b Md thanked vasue VA
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Any updates on this sue ? Or anyone else? It's on sale at heirloom and I think I'm going to give it a go. For spring delivery

• erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

I bought one, I think last year. I don't think it has bloomed yet. It looks healthy, has put on some size but on a vigor scale of one to ten I'd give it a 6.5 so far. Am disappointed to hear it doesn't bloom much and takes so much time to come into its own. Will have to wait and see what mine does.

• Ann9BNCalif
    6 years ago

When I visited the Russian River Rose company (Healdsburg, Sonoma County, CA) in late May, I snapped this photo of Ginger Syllabus which was quite impressive.

I don't have any personal experience with this rose but I remembered it being quite tall - maybe 8ft?

I was so glad to hear that the Russian River Rose company thankfully survived the recent wildfire.

Ann

totoro z7b Md thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • vasue VA
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lilyfinch, sorry for the delay but just saw your question now, haven't been home much lately or on the web. The pair of Ginger Syllabubs arrived late May & went into 3-gallon pots. Grew rapidly during a hotter-than-usual Summer & still putting out new growth even now. Usually pinch all but the first identifying buds on new own roots, but "instinct" nudged me to give these just sun & ample water & let them grow as they pleased. Good organic potting soil with nutrients & worm castings with a bit of added perlite to prevent compression seems to have suited them just fine. They bloomed in clusters with larger & more numerous blooms in each cycle as they grew to 5+ feet & filled out naturally with new basals & laterals. Bloomed at least 4 times & by the second showed the fully ruffled centers of golden apricot with glints of pastel pink shown in Zuzu's photos. Delightful fragrance as well. Open blooms held 10 or more days with high 90's humid days & low 70's overnight, dropping their petals cleanly when done. Snap deadheading at the peduncle led to new blooms from the same area as well as the tips of new growth. A little blackspot on scattered leaves, maybe 5% of foliage, which the roses discarded themselves in this no spray garden.

Have to say these were some of the easiest & most productive new roses this year left to their own devices. Very happy with them! Sue

totoro z7b Md thanked vasue VA
  • totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great photos Ann! Thanks for your detailed description Vasue! I am no spray too.

• Roses In Clay
    last year

My hand is in the pic but here is my Ginger Syllabub

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year
    last modified: last year

Phenomenal! Details pleaseplease! how old?from where did you buy it et cetera.? I recall I live not too far from you so I'm very interested in this rose. How is black spot for it?

• Rosiez6a_MA
    last year

How thorny is this rose?

• erasmus_gw
    last year

I planted mine in my " back 40" which is a challenging dry spot. It has been a slow grower but has had some nice blooms. I don't remember the fragrance. With all the rain this year it's putting on more size and has a number of buds. It is relatively healthy. I will check on the thorns.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    last year

That’s a gorgeous rose, Erasmus!

• Rosiez6a_MA
    last year

@erasmus_gw which zone are you at? Those are gorgeous!

• erasmus_gw
    last year

Thank you both! I'm in zone 7a, NC.

• PDXRobertZ8
    9 months ago

@Rosiez6a_MA my Ginger Syllabub is young (a year or two) but it is basically thornless. It may develop thorns as it ages.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    9 months ago

Wowie! What a glorious rose

• PDXRobertZ8
    9 months ago

Kristine, if you want my Ginger Syllabub, it's all yours. It's currently in a large nursery pot because I just don't have any room anywhere. :)