Volkswagen Could Face $18 Billion Penalties From U.S. EPA

Volkswagen of America has informed U.S. regulators the 2016MY cars with the 2.0 TDI engine also have the illegal software. Described as an "auxiliary emissions control device", the new software is different than the one installed on previous model years that generated the ongoing dieselgate. According to preliminary info, the new software is capable of making the pollution control catalyst heat up quicker which in return improves the performance of the device responsible for separating the nitrogen oxide into harmless nitrogen and oxygen gases.
VoA's spokesman Jeannine Ginivan revealed today that EPA was informed last week about this new software installed on the US-spec 2016 model year cars equipped with the 2.0 TDI engine. Volkswagen is now working with the regulators to have the issue sorted out, but most likely this second defeat device will delay the launch of several models offered with this engine.
News Source

VW emissions cheating scandal widens Now includes even 3 L Engines

Now it includes all Volkswagen and Audi U.S. vehicles with 3-liter diesel engines from the 2009 to 2016 model years, the regulators said.
The Environmental Protection Agency and California regulators said on Friday that all 2009-2016 Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche diesel models with three-liter engines contain software regulators previously alleged could dupe emissions tests, a violation of U.S. and state clean-air laws.

Europe’s largest auto maker has halted sales of all those vehicles in the U.S. amid discussions with regulators, a company spokeswoman said. All told, 85,000 models are affected by regulators’ latest allegations.
source: Wall Street Journal
usatoday

Re: VW emissions cheating scandal widens Now includes even 3 L Engines

Guess now we need to have one thread titled as "ALL VW related Scandals Discussion!"....[anger]

Now this made me wonder, only VW involves or does someone at top in VW did something to the Americans and they are taking revenge kind of!!!

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Another massive blow to VW there! New things keep cropping up in this context. I believe many Audi's Sedan and SUV have the 3.0 Liter engine in them. Surprising to me is the name of Porsche being involved. We all here in India too need to keep a check just in case cars here too might be affected as well. In short, this scandal has dented the reputation of VW and associate brands so much that it will probably take years to repair the image.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Another massive blow to VW there! ...In short, this scandal has dented the reputation of VW and associate brands so much that it will probably take years to repair the image.

Regards
Akash
It has dented their finances too.They have announced Euro 1 billion cut in R&D. Unless the German Government bails them out, I don't know how they will manage the increasing cost of recall and class action suit.
Guess now we need to have one thread titled as "ALL VW related Scandals Discussion!"....[anger]

Now this made me wonder, only VW involves or does someone at top in VW did something to the Americans and they are taking revenge kind of!!!
There seems to be no malice against VW. The cheat device was discovered accidently by a non-profit group
Two years ago, the International Council on Clean Transportation, a nonprofit environmental group staffed by a number of former E.P.A. officials, had been testing the real-world performance of so-called clean diesel cars in Europe, and were less than impressed with the emissions results.
The group decided it would test diesel-powered cars in the United States, where regulations were much more strict, as a way of almost shaming the European automakers to tighten their compliance. The group fully expected the American cars to do well, and run cleaner than their counterparts across the pond. on the campus of West Virginia University, a group of emissions researchers who mainly dealt with heavy trucks noticed an unusual posting by the transportation council, which was looking for a partner to test diesel-powered cars.The university’s team bid on the project and got the contract. This was the group that discovered the cheating.

Last edited:

When they caught they said everyone does it, I am still wondering who else?
Lol i was thinking same, i am guessing Hyundai must have something similar because sometimes smoke just pours out on heavy throttle in my i20 & noticed same in other i20's.Use to see something similar with Merc 3 litre diesels too especially the S class. Maybe majority ecus are programmed to pump fuel when some parameters are met.

But am sure all the car companies out there must be worried.[:)]

bhvm

Honoured Member

Lol i was thinking same, i am guessing Hyundai must have something similar because sometimes smoke just pours out on heavy throttle in my i20 & noticed same in other i20's.Use to see something similar with Merc 3 litre diesels too especially the S class. Maybe majority ecus are programmed to pump fuel when some parameters are met.

But am sure all the car companies out there must be worried.[:)]
Hmm... You got me thinking.
Many Passenger cars do that when WOT.

1>Maybe it's something that Engines are getting smaller-
2.0L or 1.8L 4 Cyl compared to decade ago 4.5L V8 or V10 Hemi's and Magnum's.

But Manufacturers want to offer same performance of the older larger engine. Perhaps thats achieved by such Cheating on WOT?

2>Other issue is Catalytic converter which is termed to be more polluting and toxic in long run (Insider info).

But Manufacturers want to offer same performance of the older larger engine. Perhaps thats achieved by such Cheating on WOT?

2>Other issue is Catalytic converter which is termed to be more polluting and toxic in long run (Insider info).
Means? Can you explain a bit more on 2nd point?

Smoke coming is indication of just one thing. Engine need care/service!!

bhvm

Honoured Member

Means? Can you explain a bit more on 2nd point?

Smoke coming is indication of just one thing. Engine need care/service!!
Okay here we go.
Although catalytic converter is termed as a Pollution reducing device, it does have a dark side.

Failed catalytic converters produce some nasty toxic emissions NOT produced by non-catalytic converter vehicles
If you find it hard to believe that catalytic converters are easily damaged by the engine, substantially increase pollution for the first 15 minutes from a cold start and produce some nasty toxic emissions when they fail... then do a simple test. Sit directly behind the exhaust pipe of a catalytic converter vehicle from a cold start and take deep breaths to see how long it takes to get sick. Or sit behind a vehicle with a failed catalytic converter which should be easy to find. They are the vehicles that smell like rotten eggs which is the highly toxic Hydrogen Sulphur gas. The rotten egg smell confirms the catalytic converter has failed and produces some nasty toxic emissions NOT produced by non-catalytic converter vehicles. Sit directly behind the exhaust pipe of this vehicle for more than 5 minutes with the engine running and you�re on your way to getting cancer, leukaemia, respiratory problems, chronic fatigue syndrome, immune system damage, nerve system damage or even brain damage.

Conclusions
Catalytic converters (chemical reactors) are a useless pollution control device for motor vehicles because they are easily damaged by many factors that render them useless and substantially increase pollution
In a perfectly controlled environment that allows the catalytic converter to operate at its optimum temperature of 430°C (806°F) at ALL times and does NOT allow misfire, excessive fuel, foreign material or chemicals to pass through and damage the catalytic converter, it is an effective pollution control device.

Unfortunately, the environment of motor vehicles is far from perfect and easily damages the catalytic converter which substantially increases pollution. For example, if all the factors that damage the catalytic converter could be eliminated, excessive short trip driving will still damage the catalytic converter and render it useless whether it�s brand new or several years old. Add to the problem that catalytic converters do NOT work for the first 15 minutes from a cold start which also substantially increases pollution and damaged they produce more harmful toxic emissions as a result of the unstable chemical reactions. And it doesn�t take much to figure out the source of the world�s pollution problem from motor vehicles�MILLIONS of new and older vehicles with FAILED catalytic converters. Therefore, the catalytic converter is a useless pollution control device for motor vehicles.
Negative Pressure Supercharging New Products - Impulse Engine Technologies Pty Ltd - Australia

Some facts about Catalytic Converters - NASIOC

Last edited:

Well I am sure many cars must have such loop hole tech, i remember S class w221 when new itself use to release such thick dark smoke it was similar to the volvo city bus,it was usually when car suddenly stops at junction & moves after a second or so. I noticed this in not one but several S class Diesel models And my i20 is not smoking always but in some cases when WOT at low rpm it does atleast what i observed following other i20 etc. One thing for sure our cars aren't as green as they are made out to be[roll] , am sure they blow the emission test if conducted in real world conditions like varying throttle & braking which is where the VW also got screwed & not under standard test conditions.

2 - Yes i am aware of the cat con issues in the long run & there was a thread dedicated to it in which i remember commenting that we cant just remove cat cons because our emissions are good for plants [:)].
That is why i guess after 10 years cars need fitness test or scrapped etc.

But unfortunately there is no brilliant answer to this. And emissions at idle or traffic conditions are controlled atleast. This is usually when vehicles are in heavy density together.

Skoda Rapid also uses the same 1.6 TDI engine from Volkswagen,
Does it also come in emission scandal ?
What about the scandal in India ?
My friend owns skoda rapid other friend has vento both are worried.

Top Bottom