Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2022
Hello,
I bought this iPad mini 6 not too long ago and I noticed a bit of backlight bleed on the left two corners of the display.
It's noticeable but fairly minor in real life. I am just wondering whether this is acceptable for the display.
Thanks!

IMG_20220208_230614.jpg
IMG_20220208_231230.jpg

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
The question is more whether it is acceptable for you personally… mine isn’t like that, mine is quite uniform all around the edges and across the display, if my display was like yours I would likely return it as I am a fussy f….. but if it doesn’t bother you I wouldn’t return.

The issue about returning it though is that you may get one with worse backlight bleed so it’s always a gamble with things like this.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Nope. Get it replaced, do the same test, replace again if needed.
I can’t find the quote anymore, but Jobs said that one of the most important things about a device (featuring one) is the display, it’s how we interact with everything else. If the display is flawed, the entire experience is.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
The problem with taking photos of backlight bleed is that it is easy to exaggerate the amount of bleed depending on the camera settings, automatic contrast adjustments by the camera, etc., so generally a photo does not accurately illustrate the amount of bleed. i.e., it is pretty much impossible to show others how much bleed you really have.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
Make sure you check for dead pixels and dust or finger prints under the screen too. I'd be more concerned about this as I've gotten several ipads before that had dust specs under the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.