Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-bk152sa Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. Have had total nightmare with this unit from the start. Unfortunately i let the notebook sit in it's box unopened for most of the first 6 months. Then i switch it on for the first time and i KNOW there is a backlight bleed problem. Couple of small bright spots in the bottom left corner. Spoke to Currys/PC World where i bought it and their so called experts had it in a couple of times and just made the problem worse. I was pushing for a refund or replacement but now they are refusing to see the problem that is staring them in the face. Don't understand why HP isn't involved at some level. Can anybody help my situation?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @ibleed1,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having display issues on your HP notebook. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you check for any damage on the PC?

Have you tried to update the drivers?

Have you checked if the issue persists even in the Bios screen?

In the meantime, let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the Notebook:

Step 1: Performing a hard reset

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Step 2: Connecting an external monitor to test the display

The notebook screen display might remain black when there is a corrupted graphics driver or a problem with the LCD display backlight. To test the display, attach an external monitor and restart the computer. Testing with an external display is helpful if the notebook display is black but you can hear sounds; such as fans, spinning drives, or beep tones that indicate the computer is operating.

Step 3: ​​​​Boot the computer into the Bios screen and check for the display.

1. Turn off your computer
2. Make sure you have connected the power cable
3. Turn on your notebook, as it is starting press the  F10 button repeatedly

Once you are in the BIOS, if the screen has yellow spots, it is likely a hardware failure. The next two steps may resolve the issue. The first one is to do a hard reset. I have included the document 'Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset'. The next and final step is to perform a BIOS update. I have included the information here for you 'Updating the BIOS' as well as updating the graphics card drivers from our HP Support website, using this link.

Please respond to this post with the details and the result of the troubleshooting for further assistance. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world

Available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello. Many thanks for the prompt reply.

From the outset i was and still am very confident that this problem is a hardware problem. I would bet good money that some clip or bracket is pressing down on parts of the display too much and bending it somehow. I've never seen inside and laptop and so that's the best description i can give. I did go through the hard reset - by pressing and holding the power button for 5 or so seconds. I also went through the BIOS update. There WAS a more recent version and so that is the version now installed on the machine. Still no improvement - as expected. I do intend to take some photographs of the screen, at various exposures because this will definately show the uneveness in the backlight. The only quibble would be, is it bad enough - in terms of being visible to the naked eye - to warrant some action. I believe that it does warrant action. If i were to take these photos could i send them to you for analysis? Thank you.

Maurice 

HP Recommended

Hi @ibleed1,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you seems to have diagnosed the problem to be a possible hardware failure. In this scenario, I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service related options. 

You can always share the screenshot, as this will definitely help us in identifying the issue.  I would also like to know if you have tried to boot the computer into the Bios and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please contact phone support.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there.

Finally took some pics of the problem. I have attached DSCF4056.JPGDSCF4057.JPGDSCF4074.JPGDSCF4075DSCF4076.JPG to this post. I used different shutter speeds in the pics to better show the problem and you should be able to confirm this with the EXIF data. As far as i am concerned, DSCF4075 is how the laptop screen appears to the naked eye when at full brightness and viewed in a room which is in total darkness. You will notice quite a few bright pixels in the images which can all be blamed on my aging digital camera. 

BTW i ran the computer after updating the BIOS and the screen was unaffected.

HP Recommended

Hi @ibleed1,

Thanks for the update,

After going through your post, this definitely looks like a possible hardware failure. I would suggest If the issue occurred after an accident (such as dropping it on the floor, etc.) there could be a additional charges in such cases to get the computer repaired via HP service centers. 

I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service related options. HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again.

I went through the process but there is no "Get Phone Number" option. Instead it says:

Did you buy your product at Carphone, Currys, Dixons or PC World?

HP Warranty is not applicable. Please contact Dixons Carphone´s service organization “KnowHow” for technical support. Find out more

Below this is a button "Click Here". When you click on this you are taken to Currys/PC World TeamKnow website. But these are they guys who have caused much grief for me. There is no point in me contacting them, they are not acknowledging the unit has a problem and i have no confidence in their abilty to deal with the situation. Sounds dire i know and i saw the bit about the HP warranty being not applicable but i can only appeal that they step in here and do something because i have tried my best with TeamKnow but to no avail.

HP Recommended

Hi @ibleed1,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will wait and hope that somebody from HP gets in touch. Many thanks for your help.

Maurice.

HP Recommended

I have the same probem, and just a few day i contact the HP support they give me a few sloution first #1 they will sent a shipping box let me ship the Laptop to them(but i saw someone had sent it to the company and endup they said it was not a big deal/not fix" i still would give them a try. so in the end did they fix it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.